Tyson Fury suggests he will NOT be fighting on December 5 as Deontay Wilder talks continue to throw Anthony Joshua fight into doubt
Tyson Fury has suggested he will NOT fight this year as he plans to make a return to the ring in 2021.
‘The Gypsy King’ was set to face Agit Kabayel on December 5 before turning his attention to an undisputed heavyweight title clash with Anthony Joshua.
However, he has entered a mediation process with Deontay Wilder after failing to agree terms on a trilogy bout for the WBC heavyweight championship.
“The Gypsy King is returning in 2021,” Fury posted on Twitter. “Only those that have supported me 100% since my comeback will be with me for the glory.”
Co-promoter Frank Warren also released a statement on Twitter, saying: “The world’s best heavyweight, The Gyspy King @Tyson_Fury will return to action in 2021.
“Date and venue to be announced.”
Fury drew with Wilder when they first fought almost two years ago in Los Angeles, before dethroning the ‘Bronze Bomber’ in February with a punch-perfect performance at the MGM Grand.
It was previously reported that contracts were signed for a third fight to complete the trilogy, but this could disrupt plans for a world title clash with Joshua.
Unified champion Joshua will face IBF mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev on December 12, but Eddie Hearn is unsure whether Fury can still press ahead with a blockbuster battle next year.
He told Sky Sports: “We try and avoid the mess, and keep discipline and focus on what we’re doing, and the path for AJ has always been clear, with the ups and downs of the Ruiz fight, and getting that rematch over the line.
“But we know what we’re doing. December 12, it was announced probably eight weeks before the fight, we’re focused on the victory.
“That’s their [Fury and Wilder’s] business, it’s a right mess either way, and it’s not going to resolve itself any time soon.
“Hopefully we can just make sure that if Anthony Joshua can beat Kubrat Pulev on December 12, then the path is clear for AJ against Fury in 2021.”
Warren joined talkSPORT Breakfast on Wednesday morning to provide an update on Wilder’s process as he tries to force a third fight through.
He said: “They’ve gone to an arbitration hearing in the States for an arbitration judge to make a decision on whether it should go ahead or not.
“As far as this side of the table is concerned, that contract is at an end. It can’t go on for obvious reasons because the income needed to make it happen is just not there because of the lack of spectators.”