Terence Crawford vs Kell Brook making good progress towards deal, Bob Arum hopes to finalise fight this week
Bob Arum has told talkSPORT he is hoping to finalise a deal for Terence Crawford vs Kell Brook this week.
WBO welterweight champion Crawford is rated as one of the top boxers in the world pound-for-pound, but is struggling to secure top opposition due to the politics of the sport.
Crawford is aligned with Bob Arum’s Top Rank in the US, while most other top 147lbers work with Al Haymon’s PBC.
With top target Errol Spence facing Danny Garcia next, Crawford’s turned his attention to a Manny Pacquiao bout overseas.
However, this is appearing unlikely and so alternative options are being considered for a US fight behind closed doors.
It was previously reported that an offer of $1.5million had been made to Brook, with Mike Coppinger now claiming this has been increased to around $2million.
Arum told talkSPORT Fight Night on Saturday evening: “We’re talking with the Kell Brook people, lovely people.
“If we can finalise with Kell Brook, which we hope to do next week, and also we have to finalise the deal with Terence, we’ll get that fight on mid-November.”
At the start of the lockdown period, Crawford claimed he would rather wait for fans to return than fight behind closed doors.
The champion even claimed he would want more money to fight without fans, and would not be willing to take a pay cut.
This situation has seemingly changed now and Arum said: “I don’t know what he was saying, maybe he was afraid that we would cut him below his minimum [contractual purse guarantee].
“God knows what’s in his mind, some of these guys when they’re facing uncertainty that’s not the fault of anybody say things that they really haven’t thought out.
“And throughout this whole pandemic, there’s no fighter that we’ve cut from his minimum.”