Roy Jones Jr believes he knows the real reason why Mike Tyson fight was postponed, explains that exhibition will now have two-minute rounds
Roy Jones Jr has revealed he has doubts over the official reason given for his exhibition fight with Mike Tyson being postponed.
The match between the legends was initially agreed for September 12, but it was pushed back to November 28.
Tyson said: “Changing the date to November 28th will give more people the opportunity to see the biggest comeback in boxing history.”
However, Jones Jr explained his initial decision to accept the fight during an interview on the Joe Rogan podcast.
He said: “I’m like – six weeks, that’s right around the corner.
“[Tyson] ain’t been fighting, I can get ready, I’m pretty sure I can get a little bit more ready than he can because he’s been inactive a lot longer than I have.
“So six weeks, he’s still Mike Tyson and he still can punch. But six weeks, there’s no way he can get prepared for this.
“So I said, ‘You know what? I’ll take that,’ and I jumped on it.
“Well, lo and behold, something happens and they’ve changed it.
“They told me something about marketing, but I don’t really believe much of what they said.
“I just can’t believe it because we had a September 12 date before the football season starts. People at home had nothing to do.
“And they said, ‘Well, we got more attention than we expected to get, and this happened and that happened so we want to move it.’
“I was thinking about it and my guy, he posted something about the new date on my site.
“And when he did that, they were like, ‘Well that means that you admit it, you agreed to it.’
“I didn’t, but okay. If that’s how it goes, I’ll be that guy. I don’t back out of nothing.
“It ain’t like I’m scared of Mike Tyson, it’s just that I know that in six weeks he had no chance to deal with me.
“In 12 weeks he’ll have a better chance to deal with me, but his chance is still gonna be rough, but it’s gonna be better than it would’ve been.
“Six weeks, he didn’t have a chance.”
Jones Jr also revealed that the exhibition will have two-minute rounds instead of the traditional three minutes.
He continued: “They’ve got me doing eight, two-minute rounds now.
“Everything’s to his advantage, that’s to his advantage too.
“At this point, the fans are so excited about it, I wouldn’t want to pull the rug from under the fans and they [the organisers] will try and sue me.
“It’s not really worth it, so I’m going to go in for these two-minute rounds, but I’m going to have to work a little faster than I expected to.
“They just decided this last week. They change stuff on me by the week. I guess I read the memo wrong.
“I think the WBC came in and said they want to put up some kind of title or something, so they want to cut it back to two-minute rounds.
“They said something about the Jorge Arce and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr fight, how fatigued they were after the fight and they feel like that’s a safety measure.
“But what they don’t realise is that the longer you keep Mike fresh, the more dangerous that is for me.
“I need to get Mike un-fresh quick, so we can get out this danger zone.
“Chavez and Arce fought a ‘true’ exhibition with headgear and big gloves, but they said they were so exhausted afterwards, that they felt like that is what could inhibit somebody’s health.”