PIP UK: How claimants can receive council tax reductions as rates rise – check now | Personal Finance | Finance

Spread the love

Council tax bills can be reduced if a person is in receipt of certain state benefits, which includes Universal Credit and PIP. This should be noted as the Government has confirmed rates will rise in England, with some areas seeing their bills increased to nearly £4,500 a year.

PIP claimants may be able to get money off their council tax or have it halted entirely.

According to Citizens Advice, the exact reduction will vary from person to person and claimants will not have to pay any council tax if their doctor certifies that anyone in the home has a severe mental condition such as Alzheimer’s, according to the Money Advice Service.

Under these circumstances, they must also qualify for the PIP daily living component, but they do not actually need to be claiming it.

When applying for a council tax reduction, PIP claimants will need to send their local councils a copy of their PIP award letter.

On top of the council tax support, PIP claimants may also be eligible for other forms of financial support.

This can include help with housing or transport costs.

To be eligible for PIP itself, claimants must be aged between 16 and state pension age, and have a health condition or disability where they have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for three months and expect these difficulties to continue for at least nine months.

Full details on PIP support and council tax reductions can be found on the Government’s website.

Do you have a money dilemma which you’d like a financial expert’s opinion on? If you would like to ask one of our finance experts a question, please email your query to personal.finance@reachplc.com. 

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.