Mike Tyson confirms Evander Holyfield trilogy fight for May 29 to rubbish claims he rejected $25million deal
Mike Tyson has confirmed a trilogy fight with fellow boxing legend Evander Holyfield will take place on May 29 to dismiss claims that talks between the famous rivals had collapsed.
The heavyweight icons were involved in two incredible battles in 1996 and 1997, when Tyson famously bit off a chunk of Holyfield’s ear on his way to disqualification.
And despite their ages – now 58 and 54 years old respectively – a third bout between the pair has been the source of constant speculation ever since they returned to training last year.
Tyson ended 15 years out of the ring last November for an eight-round exhibition bout against Roy Jones Jr, after which Holyfield called him out.
Talks between the two camps over a multi-million dollar fight at the Hard Rock Stadium on May 29 have dragged on ever since – and just yesterday, Holyfield’s team suggested it was off due to Tyson’s disinterest.
Alongside a lengthy statement, Holyfield’s manager Kris Lawrence said: “We thought this was a done deal but it quickly fell apart when Tyson’s people declined all offers.
“We were negotiating in good faith all along and it appears we just ended up wasting our time.”
But today, speaking on Instagram Live, Iron Mike moved to rubbish those suggestions and reaffirmed plans to fight in Miami at the start of Memorial Weekend.
Tyson said: “I just want everybody to know, the fight is on with me and Holyfield.
“Holyfield’s a humble man, I know that. And he’s a man of God, but I’m God’s man.
“And, listen, I’m going to be successful on May 29th.”