Manny Pacquiao and Errol Spence Jr sign contract for super fight on August 21 in Las Vegas as boxing great confirms bout on Twitter
Manny Pacquiao and Errol Spence Jr. have signed contracts for a super fight on August 21.
WBA champion Pacquiao and WBC and IBF titleholder Spence Jr have been locked in discussions for some time and a Las Vegas bout between the pair has now been officially agreed.
Pacquiao, 42, will now look to add to his already glittering legacy by overcoming Spence – who is undefeated in his previous 27 fights.
The bout would represent his biggest challenge since he came up short against Floyd Mayweather in May 2015.
‘Pac-Man’ (62-7-2, 39 KOs) has also hinted at a lucrative mega fight with Conor McGregor, who has insisted he wants to take on the Filipino in the ring before he retires from combat sports.
Pacquiao won the WBA title after rolling back the years against Keith Thurman in July 2019 but was officially declared ‘champion in recces’ earlier this year due to inactivity. It led to Yordenis Ugas replacing him as the WBA’s ‘super’ champion at 147lbs.
Last month, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum told Dan Rafael of BoxingScene.com that Pacquiao and Terence Crawford had an agreement in place for a June 5 bout in Abu Dhabi, but it fell apart because the people putting up the money missed the deadline.
“Look, what happened to us in Abu Dhabi was we had signed contracts and everything and they were supposed to put up the money,” Arum said. “Well, I’ve been waiting two weeks for the money. Nobody put up the money after promising they would.”