Exclusive coverage and commentary as south coast rivals meet in FA Cup quarter-final clash
South coast rivals Bournemouth and Southampton face off in the FA Cup quarter-finals this lunchtime.
Bournemouth, who beat Burnley in the last round, are the only side left in the competition from outside the Premier League.
The Cherries will be eager to maintain that and book a place in the semi-finals when Southampton make the short trip to the Vitality Stadium.
The Saints saw off Wolves to set up this tie and will want to put their recent poor form to one side here.
The draw for the semi-finals will be made on Sunday and will take place at half-time of the tie between Leicester and Manchester United.
Bournemouth v Southampton: How to listen
This quarter-final tie will get under way at 12:15pm on Saturday, March 20.
Full coverage from the Vitality Stadium will be live on talkSPORT, with our pre-match build-up starting at 11am.
Mark Saggers will be your host and commentary will come from Jim Proudfoot and Matt Holland.
To tune in, click the radio player below or HERE for the live stream.
Here are the other ways to listen…
App iPhone – Download from the Apple store
Android – Download from Google Play
Radio – talkSPORT is available across the United Kingdom via DAB digital radio and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
TV – Listen to talkSPORT through your TV on the following channels: Sky: Channel 0108 Virgin Media: Channel 927 Freeview: Channel 723 Freesat: Channel 731
Bournemouth v Southampton: Team news
Jonathan Woodgate accepts Bournemouth are the underdogs for their tie against Southampton but is ready to make another bit of history.
He said: “We are definitely the underdogs because they are a Premier league team, but we will go in there thinking we can win the game, no matter what.
“If it has to go to extra-time, go to penalties, we are confident we can cause an upset.
“It is a fantastic achievement for the football club and we are just trying to get into a semi-final, but it is going to be really difficult.
“They are a good team with really experienced players, everyone will be thinking Southampton are going to win.
“But our players will not think that. We will be right on it.”
Bournemouth v Southampton: Match facts
- Bournemouth won their only previous FA Cup tie against Southampton, winning 3-1 in a first round replay in 1953-54.
- Southampton are unbeaten in their last four away games against Bournemouth in all competitions (W2 D2), since a 0-2 Premier League loss in March 2016.
- This is just Bournemouth’s second appearance in the FA Cup quarter-final, with the Cherries losing to Manchester United’s ‘Busby Babes’ in their only previous such game in March 1957.
- Southampton have reached the FA Cup semi-final in just one of the last 17 seasons, doing so in 2017-18 before being eliminated by eventual winners Chelsea.
- Bournemouth have progressed from just four of their 29 FA Cup ties against top-flight opponents, though they did beat Premier League side Burnley in the last round.
- Southampton have progressed from 21 of their last 23 FA Cup ties against sides from a lower division, losing against Bristol Rovers in February 2008 and Derby in January 2019.
- Only one of the last 13 FA Cup quarter-final ties to see a side from a lower division face top-flight opponents has ended with the lower-ranked side progressing – then Championship side (and holders) Wigan Athletic knocking out Manuel Pellegrini’s Manchester City in March 2014.
- Bournemouth striker Sam Surridge has scored in three of his last five FA Cup matches, with each of his three goals coming against Premier League opposition – vs Fulham (Jan 2019), Arsenal (Jan 2020) and vs Burnley (Feb 2021).