Eddie Hearn reveals what was said in first ever conversation with Frank Warren as promoters share phone call about making fights together
Eddie Hearn and Frank Warren shared a phone call for the first time ever on Wednesday afternoon.
The rival British promoters have been sniping at one another on-and-off for the past decade, despite having never actually had a conversation.
However, on Tuesday night, Warren put out a statement calling for them to start working together.
This garnered a prickly response from Hearn the following morning, but by the end of the day serious progress was made.
Hearn told iFL TV: “I checked my voicemail, he’d left a message.
“I gave him a buzz and just said, ‘Listen, once we get Fight Camp out the way, we’ll have a chat.’
“Don’t mind, no problem having a bite to eat with him.
“Lots to discuss, lots of issues to get out the way, we’re a million miles away from making any fights, but no problem in having a bit of grub and discussing it. So we’ll see what happens in September…
“More than happy to discuss some of the fights and we will do, we will get together and discuss it.”
Warren’s initial statement read: “What I am proposing is to break down the borders and give the fans the fights they want to see.
“Let’s make the natural matches that have previously been deemed too complicated due to promotional and broadcast affiliations. Queensberry’s finest versus the best of Matchroom. Why not?
“Forget about promoter pride and egos, it is not about us. This is the time to turbo-charge boxing right back into the mainstream and capture the imagination of the watching public.
“I say we should smash down the barriers for the benefit of the sport and, most importantly, the people who support it.
“From our side, our broadcast partner BT Sport fully buys into the concept and is ready and willing to help make it happen.
“If Sky Sports are of the same mindset, so much the better, and an equitable distribution of the fights can be worked out. No problem.
“Our door is wide open to begin negotiations for one-off spectacles, a sequence of events, a Test series of top ‘us versus them’ humdingers. The possibilities are endless and everything is on the table.
“Forget the past. Don’t focus on the difficulties and let’s get on and make the fights people want to see.
“You could say I am throwing down the gauntlet and I would hope this honest proposal is taken at face value and not blithely dismissed.”
Hearn responded on Wednesday: “It was an interesting move. I guess they’ve been working on that poster during lockdown.
“You’d think that if you were serious about something like that you’d just call me or send an email rather than put a press release out.
“But listen, there’s no reason why we can’t discuss it.
“It’s important for people to know that last week alone, the BBBofC received three or more emails of complaint from Queensberry about our Fight Camp card, trying to grass on things that didn’t even exist.
“Apart from that, all I ever get from them is legal letters and fake twitter accounts. So let’s see where it goes, but I understand it’s tough times so if I can help them out in any way, I will consider it for sure.”
Warren then hit back with the below statement, which was the latest in their exchange before the phone call.