Ebola outbreak: Disease kills four in region for first time in five years – alert raised | World | News

0
Spread the love


The country’s health minister Remy Lamah told news agency AFP officials are “really concerned” about the deaths.

The 2013-16 epidemic, which began in the African country, killed 11,300 people across the region.

National Health Security Agency head Sakoba Keita told local media said the four deaths from Ebola occurred in the southeast region of Nzerekore of Guinea.

One of the victims was a nurse who fell ill at the end of last month and was buried earlier this month.

Mr Keita said: “Among those who took part in the burial, eight people showed symptoms: diarrhoea, vomiting and bleeding.

“Three of them died and four others are in hospital.”

Since the 2016 epidemic, the World Health Organisation has closely monitored each Ebola outbreak, treating a receant one in the Democratic Republic of Congo as an international health emergency.

Earlier on Sunday, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the UN health agency had been informed of two suspected cases of the deadly disease in Guinea.

He tweeted: @WHO has been informed of two suspected cases of Ebola in Guinea-Conakry.

“Confirmatory testing underway.

“@WHOAFRO and WHO country office supporting readiness and response efforts.”

In November, authroties in DR Congo had declared an end to the country’s latest Ebola outbreak.

This has been the country’s eleventh outbreak of the deadly disease, killing 55 people from the 130 confirmed cases.

The widespread use of vaccines to fight Ebola, which were administered to more than 40,000 people, had helped bring the disease under control.

But fresh fears Ebola outbreak have been sparked when on Thursday the WHO confirmed a resurgence.

THIS IS A BREAKING STORY. MORE TO FOLLOW…





Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.