Dustin Poirier says he ‘jumped the gun’ on Conor McGregor donation claim that led to Twitter war
Dustin Poirier says his passion for his charity work contributed to his public spat with Conor McGregor.
Earlier in the week, Poirier claimed his UFC rival had reneged on his promise to donate $500,000 to his Good Fight Foundation and McGregor’s team has been ’ghosting’ his foundation for months.
The Notorious hit back insisting that Poirier’s team had failed to show how they intended to use the money and it was foolish to think he would just send him $500,000 otherwise.
McGregor even called the fight off, but it has since been confirmed that the pair will meet at UFC 264 in front of a full house at the T-Mobile arena on July 10.
Poirier took to Twitter on Wednesday night to say he jumped the gun with his outburst.
“I am very passionate about my charity as you all know,” he wrote.
“I jumped the gun and took my private matters between Conor and my foundation public. My mistake, we live, we learn. Spreading positivity and doing good is my goal!
“I feel like I have brought a negative energy and personal opinions into something I am working so hard on that gives people a reason to cheer and smile.
“I will take this in stride and continue to fight the good fight! New goal coming soon and it is a big one. Thank you to all who is involved and all the supporters who believe in our vision.”
McGregor and Poirier have both knocked each other out before and at UFC 264, this will be the rubber fight.
They last met at UFC 257, in January, became the joint-second highest bought event in UFC history.
McGregor will be desperate to win not only to avenge the loss, but so his star power can remain intact.
He still has big ideas of facing Manny Pacquiao in a boxing ring, but to retain his supreme drawing power victories are ideal.