Beijing’s top diplomat sends chilling warning to US over Taiwan as war fears surge | World | News
Chinese Foreign minister, Wang Yi, warned the US against supporting Taiwan’s pro-independence movement, saying it will take military action to safeguard its sovereignty. In a 90 minute press conference on Sunday, Mr Wang gave three points in relation to the crisis involving China and the United States over Taiwan: “First, there is but one China in the world. Taiwan is an inalienable part of the Chinese territory.
“Second, the two sides of the Taiwan Strait must be and will surely be reunified,” said Mr Wang, “the Chinese government’s resolve to safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity is rock-firm.
“We have the capability to thwart separatist attempts for “Taiwan independence” in whatever form.”
Mr Wang continued: “Third, the one-China principle is the political foundation of the China-US relationship, a red line that should not be crossed.
“We hope the new US administration will appreciate the great sensitivity of the Taiwan question.”
Wang also made reference to the Trump administration’s “dangerous practice” of “crossing the line” and “playing with fire”.
Relations between Beijing and the White House sank to a historic low under the Trump administration as both sides waged a diplomatic war over trade, technology, the pandemic and Taiwan.
Last week, the US military urged Congress to approve new air defence and precision strike capabilities along the First Island Chain between Japan and Indonesia.
The military plea also sought $4.68 billion (£3.38 billion) in the upcoming fiscal year from US diplomats to accomplish the work in the South China Sea.
READ MORE: Macron to join US in South China Sea with tensions sky high
Robert Blackwill, a CFR senior fellow for US foreign policy, and history professor, Philip Zelikow said that Taiwan “is becoming the most dangerous flashpoint in the world for a possible war that involves the United States, China, and probably other major powers”.