Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury plunged into serious doubt as Deontay Wilder WINS legal case for third fight with Fury

0
Spread the love


Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury is under serious threat as Deontay Wilder has won his legal case for a trilogy bout against the ‘Gypsy King’.

The two Brits were all-but-set to meet in an undisputed showdown on August 14 in Saudi Arabia, however this may now not happen after all.

Fury floored Wilder twice and stopped him in round seven of their rematch, and a third fight did not come to fruition

Getty Images – Getty

Fury floored Wilder twice and stopped him in round seven of their rematch, and a third fight did not come to fruition

Having initially gone their separate ways after their draw in 2018, Fury and Wilder signed a two-fight deal to meet again twice last year.

The Brit famously stopped the American to take his WBC heavyweight title in February 2020 and Wilder then activated his clause to force a trilogy contest.

After delays pushed the fight back several times – including an injury to Wilder and various pandemic issues – Fury’s team announced that they were moving on from the contest as it was their belief that the contract had expired.

The Americans reacted by activating the dispute resolution provision within the contract, taking the matter to legal arbitration.

Joshua has three major titles and was looking to unify all four with Fury

Mark Robinson/Matchroom

Joshua has three major titles and was looking to unify all four with Fury

According to ESPN’s Mark Kriegel, the arbitrator presiding over the matter – retired judge Daniel Weinstein – has now ruled in Wilder’s favour.

It’s claimed he’s even set a deadline, insisting the pair must meet again by September 15.

At the time of writing, there has been no comment from representatives of any of the three fighters.

It’s unclear if AJ vs Fury is still salvageable for August 14 with a financial settlement for Wilder, or if a legal injunction will force the ‘Gypsy King’ to face the ‘Bronze Bomber’ once more.

Tyson Fury speaks out to confirm Anthony Joshua fight is 100 per cent ON for August 14 in Saudi Arabia

Just 24 hours earlier, Fury sent the sporting world into a frenzy by declaring that the AJ fight was ‘100 per cent on’ for August 14.

Fury said on Sunday: “I’ve got some massive news for you all guys.

“I’ve just got off the phone from Prince Khalid of Saudi Arabia, he’s told me this fight’s 100 per cent on.

“August 14, 2021 – summertime. All eyes of the world will be on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

“I cannot wait, repeat, cannot wait to smash Anthony Joshua on the biggest stage of all times.”

Now these plans are in serious doubt, with the next few days crucial to determining what happens next in the heavyweight division.





Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.